[9fans] Python3 for Plan9
Devyn Collier Johnson
2013-08-12 23:13:57 UTC
Aloha Plan9 fans!

I am new to Plan9 and I plan to use it for robotics. However, I am
unable to find a Python3 interpreter that would run on a Plan9 system on
an ARM system. Does such a package exist?

Mahalo,

***@Gmail.com
erik quanstrom
2013-08-12 23:23:21 UTC
Post by Devyn Collier Johnson
Aloha Plan9 fans!
I am new to Plan9 and I plan to use it for robotics. However, I am
unable to find a Python3 interpreter that would run on a Plan9 system on
an ARM system. Does such a package exist?
not out o the box, but jas' python port on bitbucket is close. we haven't
tried out python 3 yet, and we've been ignoring arm but we are following
the tip, so python 3 might just work on 386/amd64.

i- erik
Devyn Collier Johnson
2013-08-13 01:35:40 UTC
Post by erik quanstrom
Post by Devyn Collier Johnson
Aloha Plan9 fans!
I am new to Plan9 and I plan to use it for robotics. However, I am
unable to find a Python3 interpreter that would run on a Plan9 system on
an ARM system. Does such a package exist?
not out o the box, but jas' python port on bitbucket is close. we haven't
tried out python 3 yet, and we've been ignoring arm but we are following
the tip, so python 3 might just work on 386/amd64.
i- erik
Thanks anyway. I am new to cross compiling, so I assume it is not as
easy as downloading the source code and compiling?

Mahalo,

***@Gmail.com
Matthew Veety
Mahalo,
Devyn Collier Johnson
2013-08-13 11:58:39 UTC
Post by erik quanstrom
Post by Devyn Collier Johnson
Aloha Plan9 fans!
I am new to Plan9 and I plan to use it for robotics. However, I am
unable to find a Python3 interpreter that would run on a Plan9 system on
an ARM system. Does such a package exist?
not out o the box, but jas' python port on bitbucket is close. we haven't
tried out python 3 yet, and we've been ignoring arm but we are following
the tip, so python 3 might just work on 386/amd64.
i- erik
Thanks anyway. I am new to cross compiling, so I assume it is not as easy as downloading the source code and compiling?
Mahalo,
Thanks! I will try that sometime.

Mahalo,

DCJ
michaelian ennis
2013-08-14 04:40:47 UTC
I think you will find most things sought after from python 3 are available
in 2.7. In addition there is a plan9 module included giving you the
building blocks to build plan9-centric tools.
https://bitbucket.org/jas/cpython

Ian

DCJ
Jeff Sickel
2013-08-16 21:52:31 UTC
Just remember that there is a small mercurial dependency that's currently not
fully tracked. Our patches to Selenic have started to be rolled in, but it may
still take a few more days before a Mercurial 2.7.1 release that has all of our
changes in place.

Feel free to track the cpython bitbucket fork for our most recent changes.
The mercurial pieces will be updated in short order. And, as time allows, I'll
try my best to remember to push changes up to my contrib area on sources.

-jas
DCJ
Steven Stallion
2013-08-16 22:23:23 UTC
Interesting. Your factotum change broke global authentication. The
purpose of the * realm (look at the comments at the top of
factotum.py) was intended to act as a default. Please fix this.
DCJ
Devyn Collier Johnson
2013-08-17 00:21:50 UTC
Post by Jeff Sickel
[...]
I downloaded the Python 3.3.2 code and cross-compiled it for ARM
systems. I currently do not have an ARM Plan9 system to test this on. Is
there some special Plan9 repository for Plan9 like how many Linux
developers have Launchpad and Github? How can I be the "official ARM
Plan9 Python3 supplier"?

I am new to Plan9. I know there is a lot of documentation on the
Internet, but is there anything in particular that is highly recommended?

Mahalo,

***@Gmail.com
Alex Jordan
2013-08-17 06:20:02 UTC
Post by Jeff Sickel
Just remember that there is a small mercurial dependency that's currently not
fully tracked. Our patches to Selenic have started to be rolled in, but it may
still take a few more days before a Mercurial 2.7.1 release that has all of our
changes in place.
Feel free to track the cpython bitbucket fork for our most recent changes.
The mercurial pieces will be updated in short order. And, as time allows, I'll
try my best to remember to push changes up to my contrib area on sources.
-jas
Post by Jeff Sickel
Post by michaelian ennis
Ian
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Devyn Collier Johnson <
No it is. Just use the compilers for the other arch.
On Aug 12, 2013, at 21:35, Devyn Collier Johnson <
Get a contrib directory.
Devyn Collier Johnson
2013-08-17 11:03:47 UTC
On Aug 16, 2013 8:22 PM, "Devyn Collier Johnson"
Post by Devyn Collier Johnson
I downloaded the Python 3.3.2 code and cross-compiled it for ARM
systems. I currently do not have an ARM Plan9 system to test this on.
Is there some special Plan9 repository for Plan9 like how many Linux
developers have Launchpad and Github? How can I be the "official ARM
Plan9 Python3 supplier"?
Post by Devyn Collier Johnson
I am new to Plan9. I know there is a lot of documentation on the
Internet, but is there anything in particular that is highly recommended?
Post by Devyn Collier Johnson
Mahalo,
Get a contrib directory.
Thanks! I will look into that.